Direct mail is effective to reach senior executives
Direct mail expert, Alan Rosenspan, was recently asked, “Is direct mail really effective for reaching CEOs, CFOs, CIOs and CMOs?” His answer: “Of course you can do effective direct mail to the C-level. In fact, one might argue that’s the only form of marketing that really gets through to them.”
Steps to reach senior executives with direct mail
- Make it look personal so it gets by the gatekeeper (PA/EA/receptionist/secretary).
- Write the letter from one CEO to another. Put the name of the CEO who is writing the letter in the upper left hand corner of the envelope.
- Make it look important.
- Use a dimensional mailer to get their attention. (Nobody ever threw out a box without opening it; no gatekeeper ever decided that “the boss doesn’t have to see this.”)
- Use PURLs (Personalized URLs) to gain their attention.
- Show you’ve done some research on their organization. Whenever Alan gets a new client, he visits their website – lots of valuable information is there, some of which can be included in the direct mail programs.
- Don’t do a one-shot; make it a consistent campaign. If reaching the CEO is very important to you (and worth it to your company) don’t just do one mailing. Do a series of mailings designed to work over time.
Alan’s website is worth visiting because it contains lots of good anecdotes and tips on direct marketing.