Do you want to become a more capable communicator?
If you are keen to progress your career in professional communication, you now have the opportunity to review your skills and experience and what you offer your employer in your current role. Then you can assess the skills you can further develop to become even more effective.
In 2018 the Global Alliance released the Global Capabilities Framework for public relations and communication management professionals. At an individual level, the framework is intended to assist you to assess your own performance in the capabilities you consider important, to enable you to set goals and to provide you with access to resources such as training, reading and webinars, which will strengthen your capabilities.
The framework takes a high-level view of what individual communication professionals can deliver:
- To align communication strategies with organizational purpose and values.
- To identify and address communication problems proactively.
- To conduct formative and evaluative research or analysis as the foundation for communication strategies and tactics.
- To communicate effectively across a wide range of platforms and technologies.
- To facilitate relationships and build trust with internal and external stakeholders and communities.
- To build and enhance organizational reputation.
- To provide intelligence on the business and societal environment.
Professional capabilities (those expected of any professional)
- To provide valued counsel and be a trusted advisor.
- To offer organizational leadership.
- To work within an ethical framework on behalf of the organization, in line with professional and societal expectations.
- To develop yourself and others, including continuing professional learning.
No matter what stage you are in your career, now is the time to review your experience and knowledge, and focus on your skills, capabilities and the value you add to your organization. The insights you gain will help you make thoughtful, responsible decisions about what professional development you need to take your career to the next level.
Finding the time to build
As a professional, you are likely to face time pressures that will reduce the opportunity to develop your professional capabilities. Therefore, it is important to discuss your wish to increase and strengthen your capabilities with your employer. If you can put a good business case to your employer, you should be able to get them to allocate time and perhaps funding for your training in further communication skills. One way to build a business case for this is to use the Communication Value Circle framework to show your employer the value of communication to your organization and how you could use new skills to create even greater value for your employer from your work.
Free app to assess your current skills and the ones you could develop
A special free “career evaluator” mobile app is available to enable you to assess your current knowledge and experience against the Global Capability Framework – and the skills you could develop further.
Developed by the Cropley Centre for Communication Excellence in Melbourne, Australia, the app will help you to:
- Identify your strengths and gaps in each area of competence.
- Focus on priority needs for professional development.
- Have informed professional discussions with your manager.
- Prepare a short and long term professional development plan.
- Plan your career path.
Basically, the app will give you a snapshot of your strengths and development opportunities. You can download a full PDF report of your self-assessment mapped against the competencies and descriptions in the framework.
More information about the app, including links to download it to your iPhone or Android device is available here.